Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Star Face, not quite the C&F but up there.

I think I may have found one of the coolest bars in Korea, it's called Star Face, it's in Hyundai which is in Busan and on Saturday nights it serves foreigners all they can drink for $N.Z15. For some reason your not allowed rum or Jack Daniels but as I'm neither a Pirate or a god dam fake whisky drinker I couldn't have cared less. I was a wee bit wobbly when I got there and ended up on G&T's all night, Man did they go down. The place had a pool table (very rare in Korea) where I'm proud to announce not one Australian beat me, a few Canadians did but no Ockers, a dart board (almost unheard of), where everyone at the Cat & Fiddle knows I'm an easy beat but that didn't stop me 1 iota and one of the best pub vibes I have ever come across. It has a reputation as a foreigners hang out which is kinda cool cause it means that the locals realise this and those that can and want to talk to Wiguks (That's me) go in and get boozed. It's really interesting talking to Koreans who are fluent in English there lives are so different from a Kiwi's, they are all about beating the competition (By that I mean competing hard out for jobs, apartments and education) they are all curious about westerners and want to know the most personal stuff, I tell em whatever they want to know cause I figure I'm not gonna see them again in a city of 4million that I don't even live in. Believe me, New Zealand is coming out as all good!

I stayed the night in a Motel in Hyundai, around here some motels have a reputation and are known locally as Love Motels, as you can imagine they are cheap as chips and discreet! So no one blinked an eye when a Kiwi bloke, an English chick and an Irish chick wanted to share the same room for the night. I know what your all thinking and no. $40 between three ain't bad. It was a traditional Korean room which meant no beds! over here alot of people sleep on padded mattress, kind of like a thick heavy quilt. When your boozed you don't care! The locals I was talking to said it is not uncommon for Husbands and Wives to saunter there way through the doors as generations of families live not only under the same roof but in the same rooms(Bugger all space over here) and want a shag in private!

The Friday before I did the usual, went to the local, got drunk, shot the shit, went to another bar with a live band from Thailand of all places, then off to a Noriban where I pulled out some atrocious but highly entertaining (Yeah Right) Oasis, Queen and The Killers. Home by 7 up by 2 and in Hyundai by 4 to start all over again. As Pa Beagle would say "It was very pleasant"

This week so far has been uneventful, work, home, sleep, work etc, got some of the schools Big Wigs coming on Friday and got told to wear a suit. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: