Monday, March 12, 2007

It's been a while

What's the Craic?
I know this ain't a Kiwi term but I've been hanging out with a few Irish people lately and that phrase is used as a greeting and they gave me a mission. I chose to accept. I have been teaching all my students to say it as a greeting, I figure I may as well have a little fun, as if teaching Koreans to speak with a Kiwi accent isn't!

I did meet an interesting dude on Friday night, I had met him before but hadn't really spoken to him. he has just moved from Gimhae to Busan and had his final night in Gimhae, we got to talking and he said that he was leaving heps of stuff behind in his flat and that I was welcome to it. So about 3 in morning we crawled to his flat and I emptied it of coffee tables, chairs , couches, towels, sheets, the works. He helped me carry it down the stairs on to the street and then on to the main road where I was going to find a taxi to help me get it all to my place. What a job that was, I was boozed, trying to carry all this stuff laughing my head off as I kept on dropping everything and trying to convince Taxi drivers to stick it all in their cab and take me home. Everyone was keen to help but didn't want to take the sofa so I kept on trying again and again to get this bloody sofa home but to no avail. So I finally got most of the stuff crammed into a taxi it was so full the driver couldn't physically move the gear stick into 4th as my coffee table was in the way, blocking half of the windscreen (My half!) So I was in a cab being driven in the typical Asian style, you know, no steady foot movements, up and down on the gas all the way, my vision was blocked, he couldn't get into 4th so the engine was screaming, boozed up to my eyeballs on a mix of Korean Lager and Stout, the driver attempting to correct my Korean, I'm in desperate need of a leak and I'm thinking to myself Only in Korea could I get away with this. We get to my flat after about a quarter hour for a five minute drive ( as I couldn't see out the windscreen and as my vision was a bit blurry before it got totally blocked, I had to rely on drunken Korean speech in a Kiwi accent) he helps me get everything out, helps me lift it all the way up to my flat(3 flights of stairs) and only charges me the equivalent of N.Z$1.50! I gave him 5 bucks and what was left of my smokes. I went back the next day for the sofa but it was gone. Some other Wiguk probably nabbed it, reminds me of stealing couches back in Palmy.

4 comments:

Jimmy Jangles said...

ur a legend bro.

Unknown said...

it was Brad, he'd set fire to it after sleeping on it. Crazy mo-fo! I'm surprised the dude didn't think you were trying to steal someone's flat stuff and using him as a getaway.

Rooster said...

I loved that dam couch, didn't you and your blond mate from Taupo borrow it from Joseph street? Was it Cookie's and Karen's?

Unknown said...

yeah that's right! Sarah's wedding on Saturday to the other ginga, any words yet? email me.